Animal Travel Services will ensure that your pet has access to veterinary attention, should this be required while your animals are in our care. For pets travelling outside of the country, veterinary preparation is required to ensure that all relevant vaccinations, checks and certificates are organised.
VETERINARY PREPARATION FOR TRAVELLING PETS
Depending on whether your pet is travelling abroad, or making a shorter trip across country, certain requirements may be needed. Microchipping, rabies shots and up to date vet certificates are almost always needed for international pet travel. As every country has its own specifications and guidelines on vet certification for travelling animals, it is best to speak to a specialist within the animal transport field. Whilst vets are skilled at treating animals and caring for their well-being, they may not have a broader understanding of all the international animal transport requirements, and as such, may not always be able to give the best advice when it comes to preparing your animal for travel. Ideally, it is best to start preparations as soon after your travel plans have been made as possible to ensure that you have sufficient time to arrange health certificates. Speak to your Animal Travel consultant if you need to make any special arrangements, or let us know if your pet has any pre-existing condition that we need to be aware of during boarding or transit.
Partnering with trusted vets, we ensure that your cat, dog or domestic pet has all the care needed while under our supervision. Whether your beloved pooch or feline is sick, or simply requires a routine shot before travelling, we work with veterinary specialists who will give your animal the care they need and put them at ease. Should you need additional advice or assistance on arranging vaccinations, microchips or other veterinary documents, simply contact us to let us know how we can help.
Home Away From Home
Choosing the best boarding facility while you are away can be challenging. The thought of leaving a beloved pet in a strange, unfamiliar place can be daunting for many pet owners. If possible, try to visit the boarding kennel to see it in person. If this is not possible, it can be just as useful to do some research online to check reviews and photographs. Some things to consider when making your selection include the following:
- Multiple play and relaxation areas that give pets a chance for indoor and outdoor time are essential. Outdoor areas should be secure, providing fresh air without the risk of any escape routes that may be discovered by determined animals. Cats love watching birds, and having a safe, sunny spot outdoors to enjoy this activity will go a long way in making your cat feel at home.
- Suites should be well-ventilated and spaced to allow a good flow of air between each suite. This will ensure that no air-borne diseases can be spread, but will also help to give your cat space without feeling crowded or uncomfortable. In each suite, there should be enough space so that food and water dishes are not situated too close to litter trays.
- Pay attention to the other animals at the facility, whether you are viewing photographs or visiting the establishment in person. Do they look happy and content? Are they getting enough stimulation in the form of play and interaction?
- Speak to the cattery/kennel staff to find out how they take care of the animals in their supervision. If your dog/cat has special needs, check that these will be accommodated. Find out how well cattery staff interacts with the cats as well.
- Most boarding facilities require boarding animals to be vaccinated, which means that you should be asked to present a vaccination card with proof of vaccinations in the last 12 months. This is extremely important, as it ensures that your pet/s has no risk of exposure to potentially deadly diseases from fellow boarders.
To find out more about booking your feline in at our luxury facility in Cape Town, simply contact us today and we will provide all the information you need.
Animals Travel Services makes use of the following boarding facilities:
Montecatsino Cattery is a five-star feline hotel that is owned and managed by Animal Travel Services. Situated on a small farm in the northern suburbs, this Cape Town cattery is just 20 minutes from the airport. With everything your cat could ever need, from daily grooming and cuddling to cat suites that are cleaned twice per day, top quality cat food, special meaty sachet treats and a garden area that is ideal for bird watching, play and fresh air, Montecatsino is a haven for cats. Kennel and Cattery staff are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, with veterinary specialists on call in case of emergencies.
For boarding of our clients dogs prior or post travel, Animal Travel Services makes use of SunShine Pet Resort is a premium pet boarding establishment. Set on a spacious 6ha property in Paarl, this pet resort offers a range of facilities, including large outdoor areas, extra walks, individual play sessions and high quality pet supplies.
Ideal for pets needing transport to and from airports or other destinations, our pet chauffeur services give your pet the luxury of a fully air-conditioned, animal-friendly vehicle and a personal chauffeur. Our vehicles are fitted with crates and safety clips, with ramps and stretchers also on hand for pets with special needs. All of our drivers are experienced, friendly and skilled at what they do, helping to reduce the stress of travel as much as possible.
HOW DO PET CHAUFFEUR SERVICES WORK?
While some owners are able to transport their pets to airports, kennels or new homes, others do not have the ability to do so. Our pet taxi service is designed to make things easier for owners and their pets, by providing a safe, secure mode of transport that is suitable for cats, dogs and other animals.
As a full service animal travel solution, we make it easier than ever to help your pet travel to any destination in the world. Whether you are importing a pet into South Africa, leaving SA to relocate with your beloved cat or dog, needing to take your pet to a trusted cattery or kennel, looking for a safe transport option to get your pet to or from boarding or even needing a pet shuttle for a vet emergency, we are here to help get your pet there safely, simply and efficiently.
On longer trips, comfort stops are included to ensure that your pet stays hydrated and clean. Our travel crates are comfortable and spacious, while our vehicles are climate controlled to avoid over-heating.
To learn more about booking a pet chauffeur in Cape Town, contact us today and let us know how we can assist.
Bathing & Grooming
Pet grooming can be arranged by our off-site groomer.
Dog grooming services typically include:
- Nail trimming
- Ear cleaning
- Teeth brushing
High quality grooming products are used to ensure that all canines are cleaned and pampered prior to departure from our kennels.
Cat grooming services usually include:
- Trimming of nails
- Cleaning of ears
- Bathing (this is only required in extreme cases)
- Trimming of fur around sanitary area
- Coat and skin solutions that may help with overall condition
Our groomers use special feline products that help you cat look and feel good after a stressful travel experience.
PET GROOMING TIPS FOR TRAVEL
To help your pet stay comfortable during his or her travels, you can also do some pet grooming at home before setting off on their adventures. Some tips to keep in mind include the following:
- Brush your pet’s coat well before travel. This will help to remove the thick layer of fur found beneath the top layer that often causes overheating. Shaving double coated dog breeds will not only help to keep them cooler, but the removal of the undercoat will go a long way in making dogs as well as cats feel cooler and more comfortable in the summer months. It will also prevent hair balls.
- If possible, do not wash your pet for at least three days before travel. It will be much easier for your pet if you wait until after its travels to book a grooming session. Afterwards, your pet can go home and relax.
- Make sure that your pet’s nails are clipped in advance. This applies to cats and dogs. Declawing your pet is not advised – this traumatic, painful operation can be extremely damaging to both cats and dogs and will make any travel even more of an ordeal. Trimming nails gently can be done at home or at the vet.
After a long journey, everyone deserves a bit of pampering. With the help of our qualified, experienced pet groomers, your pet will come home from their travels feeling refreshed and comfortable. Contact us today to learn more about our grooming services for pets.
We’ve got a team of standby waiting to assist you with all your pet travel needs!